Views

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Have You Checked Your Air Filters Lately?? Tires? Detectors? Teach Your Kids Important Life Skills.

Old and New Lawn Mower Filter

Sometimes we get so overwhelmed making sure our kids get good grades, their homework done, and do extra-curricula activities we forget we need to teach life skill too.

Well by accident I found an important teachable moment for my older kids.  I regularly change not only my car air filter but my car cabin filter.  The last time I changed mine I realized that I had never seen neither my kids nor their dad change their filter. Their dad always harped on regular oil changes but that was it.  I wish I had pictures of what their cabin filters looked like.  I wasn't even sure they had cabin filters as their cars were older than mine, but all three of them did.  They were very dirty. We changed them, bought new ones and put the filter number in their glove box.  Then I went out to check our lawn mower.  Ugh!  And I checked the house filters.  Ugh!  Sometimes we get so busy we get behind in our home maintenance and we never show our kids what types of things they need to keep up on.



What about smoke and carbon monoxide detectors?



It is recommended to change your batteries when you change your clocks.  Haven't  checked or changed batteries lately?  Go check it right now and make sure they are working.  It is also recommended that you test your detectors monthly.  



You can buy these and hand them out with your business name. What a cool way to advertise and help remind families in your community to test their smoke alarm.

Tires?  No one wants a flat tire or an accident.  They now have a test you can do with a quarter to see if your tire still has tread.  If at all in doubt take your car to your tire servicer for inspection.  Getting regular tire rotation improves your tire wear and gas mileage and allows your auto mechanic to check your tires.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments! Thanks.....Mrs.O